It is impossible for me to pick a favorite season. Like my children, they are all favorites for different reasons. But if you promise not to tell the other seasons, I will admit that I might like summer just a teensy bit more. Long days, bare feet, a laid-back vibe, an abundant supply of watermelon, sleeping in, and free time for daily mini adventures are just a few reasons that summer holds a special place in my heart.
In our family, the first evening of summer vacation is an event worth celebrating with a backyard s’mores party.
In fact, we’ve become quite the s’mores connoisseurs. Sure, the standard graham cracker/Hershey bar/marshmallow combo is delicious, but try a few of these favorite variations from the S’Morrison Test Kitchen, to add s’more pizzazz to a scrumptious summer staple.
- Graham crackers + marshmallow + peanut butter cup
- Graham crackers + marshmallow + caramel kisses
- Chocolate-covered graham crackers + marshmallow
- Peanut butter cookie + marshmallow + chocolate
- Ginger snaps + marshmallow + dark chocolate + bacon (Not even kidding…try it!!)
- Banana boat s’mores: Slice along length of banana, leaving an inch or so at each end and stuff with graham cracker pieces, mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips. Wrap in foil and stick in the campfire or on the BBQ until the insides get gooey, then eat with a spoon.
Looking for s’more kid-friendly ideas for a memorable summer? Treat your little sweeties to my summer class, Kidding Around It’s s’more fun than you can shake a marshmallow roasting stick at!